Welcome to The Demonplague campaign.
The Luna Valley is in the Frozenfar, north of Luskan, even further north than Ten Towns. It has always been a poor land, covered in ice and snow much of the year, the soil poor and full of stones. The existence of the Ice Tongue glacier in the mountains protruding out into the valley from the mountains meant that even in summer the valley was perpetually cold although most of the snow and ice melted for about three months.
One month before the party arrived in the Luna Valley disaster struck. A giant fiery object from the sky smashed into the glacier to the east, causing earthquakes, great persistent clouds of swirling dust, and also resulted in rocky debris falling from the sky. By far the worst was the flooding from the melted ice which swept through most of the valley, taking with it villages, trees, and animals. The Luna Valley is now mud soaked and strewn with dead and rotting creatures. Safeharbour is a mud-choked ruin. The valley is unnaturally warm and even the persistent ice in the valley has melted. Previously unknown ruins are appearing, uncovered by the flood or by the melting ice.
Those people that survived the flood are trying to find somewhere they can be safe. Some are staying at Safeharbour, hoping for rescue by sea, but are slowly succumbing to starvation, banditry, and the worst of human behaviour. Many other survivors are arriving at the one village not affected – a small community known as Tomar’s Crossing situated atop a small hill and so avoided the flooding. Tomar’s Crossing has been receiving refugees and is struggling to feed them. In addition some of the refugees are telling stories of bandits and goblins attacking and kidnapping survivors. And if that’s not enough, a few refugees – enough not to completely discount the stories – tell of strange monsters appearing in the land, some arising from the mud, some shambling over the changed landscape to attack and rend those unable to escape.
The land needs adventurers to help. Will you answer the call?
Sources Used for this Campaign
- The Demonplague campaign adventure by John Fourr and James Introcaso.
- 20 Ways To Kick Off Your Demonplague Campaign on James Introcaso’s World Builder Blog.
- The Demonplague in Published Campaign Settings on James Introcaso’s World Builder Blog.
- First Encounters in the Luna Valley on James Introcaso’s World Builder Blog.
- Past Weather in Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
- Sunrise and sunset times in Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
- Year Round Average Weather in Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
- Orc zombie is a homebrew monster by CardBoardTrash1 on D&D Beyond.
- Greater zombie from the Tales of the Yawning Portal page 237.
- The Big Book of Zombies by Christopher Dornan on DMs Guild.
- Sword Coast Adventurers Guide from Wizards of the Coast.
- Corruption Rules by Matt Mercer, available on DMs Guild website.
- 10 Night Time Wilderness Camping Events by Ed Griffin on DMs Guild.
- Tome of Encounters by Toolbox Publishing on DMs Guild.
- Ten Sword Coast Encounters by Limitless Adventures on DMs Guild.
- So, A Blind Woman and a Medusa Walk Along The Road… by various authors on DMs Guild.
- Nerzugal’s Dungeon Master Toolkit 2 by Steven Williams on DMs Guild.
- Herald of Rot by StoneStrix on Reddit’s Homebrew – Monster a day.
- Encounters in the Savage Frontier by Jeff C. Stevens and contributors.
- The Mimic Book of Mimics by Mage Hand Press (book not finished at the time I used it, but obtained a beta version through their Patreon page)
- Adversaries & Allies by Dan Layman-Kennedy.
- Cultist Acolyte and Cultist Brawler from Official Darkest Dungeon Wiki by Dungeon Master Tuz on Tumblr as part of his Darkest Dungeon 5e Monster Manual.
- The Baleful Coven – an adventure of revenge by Matt Goodall and John Lynch published by Legendary Games.
- Fell Blots by Jacob Driscoll published by DMs Guild.
- Alpha Werewolf by SilverBoJangles on D&D Beyond.